Show reviews that mention
money sales campaign business contract service google people results calls
Filter review

Reach Local ripp offfffff

where shall I start....well after spending hours talking with Ashley Brown, in Ottawa Ontario, Canada, I thought I would give reach Local a try, after giving them my money and trying to reach Brown, my emails were totally ignored for a week while she was on holidays, no automatic out of office reply, nothing..when she finally got to my emails and replied to me, no apologies, nothing...and all the things she said she and Reach Local would do for me, none of those things we had discussed were done...she had told me on several occasions ( and I still have those emails) "trust me, we know what we're doing" yeah, when it comes to screwing you alright....my ads were never sent to me so I could approve them, my ads never got close to the top of Goggle page as promised, my ads were not on Google page all day and was never advised of that, Brown never told me they take about 50% of your funds to stick in their fat pockets and leave you with such a small budget for adwords that it is impossible to reach the top of google page as promised. When asked how much to advertise in a specific area, she just pulled numbers out of her ***. Her numbers were totally unrealistic given the fact they stick so much in their pockets. She straight out promised me something that could not even be accomplished . After complaining to the company, some *** form the complaint department called and was suppose to email me so I could get back to them with my issues and the *** never messaged me. A week went by and I threatened them with reporting them to the Better Business Bureau ( as to which they don't seem to belong to, probably because there are endless amounts of complaints against them all over the internet ) and they sent me back the portion of the money that wasn't used on google adwords even thought they never did a *** thing for me they were suppose to do. So be careful of Ashley Brown of Ottawa , Ontario, Canada and Reach Local cuz they're definitely out to ***.
ID
#711926 Review #711926 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Ottawa, Ontario
Cons
  • Being lied to
  • You feel ripped off
  • Being misled
nothing done as promised
Preferred solution
pay me back for the sales I have lost

They chasing targets not customer solutions

I used to work there are they only care about targets and making money off clients, not providing customer solutions. I couldn't get out quick enough. They are only a reseller of Google adwords and have not propriety products of their own. When they dont hit googles revenue targets where they get a rebate, they are an unprofitable company. Thats why they chase the target instead of the customer solution all the time. I was getting managed out because I spent to much time with clients and instead of doing 8 calls a week I did 6 on a regular basis. Glad I am out, there are much better online marketing companies to go to.
Melbourne, Victoria

Wow, cant believe we all got ripped off

hot air and bottomless promises. all the reps make the same assurances which go nowhere. I even had the sales director and MD in the UK based Reach Office so called working on my complaints. Rest assured sir we will call you back following an investigation into this. nothing. cancelled all payments to them and am contemplating legal action to get all my money back..... avoid these people like the plague. The reach Edge campaign is no better than their PPC campaign. ours has not worked since day one. the direct debit from our account has been functioning perfectly however,

Hi

Give us a call we could probably help you claim your money back from these people. We have been helping other clients.

www.ppcclaim.co.uk

All the best

Hoddesdon, England
Cons
  • You feel ripped off

60% OF YOUR BUDGET GOES INTO REACHLOCAL'S POCKET

YOU MUST check your distribution details. REACHLOCAL CLIENTS: Check how much you got in Google advertising vs what you paid? If you don't know how to this was the procedure which is not easy. 1. Login to your account 2. On the left side of the screen you’ll see all of your options. Click the + in the REPORTS option to reveal the drop down list of sub options. 3. Click Distribution Details 4. Now click the EDIT FILTERS button to reveal drop down menu function for Campaigns, Month, Year. 5. Choose which campaign you’d like to report on, choose the time period etc 6. Click Update Report The Media Cost (Google only) is what Reach Local spent with Google for that period. With the report, it has an extra step you have to click Reports at the top first which should then open up a page that has additional reports on the left hand side. NOT THIS ONLY SHOWS FOR GOOGLE FOR YAHOO AND BING THEY ARE NOT MADE TO SHOW THEIR “RAW” COSTS. Also now why they pocket 60% - ReachLocal: Founded 2004. All founders sold stock and resigned. Per the Wall Street Journal and S&P 500; Stock has declined from 2300.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter and is underwater. This is due to multiple weaknesses in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow, and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share. The net income has significantly decreased by 840.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago. Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased by152.25% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower. REACHLOCAL INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. They have volatile earnings recently and they are likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. For 2015 the market is expecting a contraction of 390.9% in earnings (Hence all of the above they have increased their profit margins by allocating less of a client’s budget to the publishers and more of the allocation of budget as profit)! About Sharron Rowland the “Face” of Reach Local. On March 27, 2014, Reach Local, Inc. appointed Sharon Rowlands, 55, as Chief Executive Officer. • Ms. Rowlands receives an annual base salary of $500,000 per year and is eligible to receive an annual bonus of up to 120% of her base salary. (An additional $600,000 per year equating to annual earnings of 1.1 million) • Ms. Rowlands is entitled to be reimbursed up to $50,000 for reasonable expenses incurred by Ms. Rowlands with respect to her commuting and relocation to the Los Angeles, California. MS. Rowlands in addition $10,000 per month (and any related gross-up payment to cover associated taxes) for temporary living expenses through August 1, 2015.Ms. Rowlands received 650,000 shares of Reach Local’s common stock. (No wonder why she claims Reach Local needs to reduce it’s over head of 33% - her head!)
ReachLocal Response #1035532

Your marketing budget pays for more than clicks on your ads on Google. Unlike with self-serve advertising, with our service, you also receive access to and use of our technology and experienced marketing team to drive ROI in the form of actual leads, not just clicks.

You get ads and listings on top search engines, such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo; management, daily optimization, and reporting using our proprietary search platform that directly accesses publishers; call recording that enables you to listen to all the calls your search advertising generates, and the support and hands-on service of your marketing team.

Learn more about the budget breakdown here: http://bit.ly/1Ew4ohJ. To speak with us directly, please contact us at clientcare@reachlocal.com.

@ReachLocal Response

sick response

Most of our clients have come from reach local. They are good for starting out but you can get so much more from your spend from a local company that has your best interest and not CEO profits.

What does the amount of money that went to Google advertsing have to do with ReachLocal's PPC campaigns? You do realize they spend your budget on all search engines, not just Google right?

Pretty freaking ignorant to start making accusations before even having a clue of what you signed up for.

@PissedConsumer1005387

But that's the whole point. They at no point let you know what you've signed up for.

They said their admin fee's, which for the record were an additional expense on the invoices were the only fee's. At no point did my business appear on Bing or Yahoo and they themselves informed me that their sole focus for my campaign was with Google.

They have misled and lied to every one of their customers and it has severely impacted on my small business and quite probably many others who were relying on them to do as they promised they would in their initial pitches. Who's to say we'll even get our money back now that they are in administration which again goes to show how despicable a company they really were.

View more comments (4)
Ventura, California
Pricing issue

Dont touch them

Reachlocals margin is ridiculous - half or more only goes on your campaign, takes forever to gain momentum and we are expected to wear the costs. You can not get intouch with anyone, They say they have a unique plateform but there are plenty of other digital agencies that can do better and cheaper. I moved a year ago and have never looked back. Saved money too. They also dont operate in monthly billings, they operate on cycles and their platform? is built to spend your money quick. Over 1 year they debited my account 16 times. Stay away from them.
ReachLocal Response #1050777

The amount of your budget used to purchase media varies from client to client, but your budget does pay for more than clicks on your ads. We invite you to learn about the budget breakdown here: bit.ly/1Ew4ohJ.

Also, we would be happy to discuss any concerns with you. Please contact us at clientcare@reachlocal.com.

You should try Using Digital Elder. Leads from google adwords.

View more comments (1)
Melbourne, Victoria
Problems with payment

ReachLocal did not provide me with what I paid for.

Try to log into your Reachlocal account and follow the following steps and report back how little was actually spend on Google's advertising. I only got 35% spent when i thought it was 90%. Accessing your “MEDIA SPEND” report in your Reach Local Account Accessing your report on how much Reach Local actually spent on media ie Google is easily accessed by doing the following: 1. Login to your account 2. On the left side of the screen you’ll see all of your options. Click the + in the REPORTS option to reveal the drop down list of sub options. 3. Click Distribution Details 4. Now click the EDIT FILTERS button to reveal drop down menu function for Campaigns, Month, Year. 5. Choose which campaign you’d like to report on, choose the time period etc 6. Click Update Report Here's what you should end up with; Most likely your Google advertising costs will be 50% of what you believed you were getting in marketing. In other words you are most likely paying 60% of your entire marketing budget or more to Reach Local when other provides charge 10% for the same service. This makes it very difficult to compete, especially when your competitors are getting the same exposure for 50% of what it is costing you.

Reachlocal keep 60% of the entire spend for themselves

The reason you had poor results is not click fraud it is simply Reachlocal keep 60% of the entire spend for themselves. Its impossible for any company to be adding value managing a self service product like Google Adwords with this sort of markup. Their reports only divulge the number of clicks but this is bolstered from the second their search engines like Yahoo and Bing. The CPC is their charge to you which include yahoo and Bing charges which are substantially less not Google's charges. This practice is all designed to deceive the customers and keep them in the dark. If they were adding value why do they need a contract term? Why does the contract auto renew for double the initial term if you don't notify them 14 days before the role over? I will tell you why. Reach Local are in the fraud deceive and scam business.
ReachLocal Response #1035535

Your marketing budget pays for more than just clicks on your ads in Google. It also includes access to and use of our technology and experienced marketing team to drive ROI in the form of actual leads, not just clicks.

You get ads and listings on the top search engines, such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo; management, daily, optimization, and reporting using our proprietary search platform that directly accesses publishers; call recording that enables you to listen to all the calls your search advertising generates, and the support and hands-on service of your marketing team. Learn more about your budget breakdown here: bit.ly/1Ew4ohJ. Additionally, your contract doesn't auto renew for double the term.

It renews on a rolling month-to-month basis as outlined in our Terms & Conditions. To speak with someone directly, please contact us at clientcare@reachlocal.com.

Pricing issue

This website proves there is justice, please heed the complaints presented here

Reach Local, translated means - A JOKE, TOTAL RIP OFF !!! You have been warned. We are a mom & pop HVAC company that doesn't have $10,000's for advertising. We donated $2000 to Reach Local for NOTHING. To some this is pocket change, no big deal but all we got was lies, lies, lies, promises, promises, promises. Typical for web marketing firms, Reach Local is a company of young, unexperienced computer nerds and ex used car sales men & women, who's parents were unable to teach them that honesty pays. THEY PROMISE THE MOON, CASH YOUR CHECK AND DELIVER NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING. AND WHEN YOU COMPLAIN AND QUIT PAYING THEM FOR DOING NOTHING, THEY BURY YOUR ADD ON PAGE 10 OF GOOGLE, ON PURPOSE. SIMPLY PUT, THEY ARE CROOKS.

Same here. Only we used them for way too long.

Should have gotten out sooner, but I kept holding out hope. We even increased our budget at the suggestion of our rep.

Lack of calls got even worse. I would never suggest them to anyone!

Hillsboro, Oregon
Cons
  • Being lied to
  • Being misled
$2000
The world to know

NOT ONE LEAD !! ASK FOR A REFUND IT WAS SO BAD!

Reach Local Rep promised the moon & said they were the biggest & the best (Ya, I bet!!). Bottomline many 1,000's later I got out of the contract with NEVER ONE LEAD Check with anticipation, every day, thinking could this be the day when I would receive my first lead that might turn into a sale... but no, calls to them were a riot as nothing helped... what is even funnier the Rep I worked with wanted to hook up on LinkedIn ... I sent her a note and asked Why? It was sooooooo bad I even asked for a refund form to fill in to ask for my money back, I was laughing more than they were, but they kept transferring me............. If you are reading this, please do not even think of using their service.... It is just not fair what they do.

Did you check how much you got in Google advertising vs what you paid? If you don't know how to this was the procedure which is not easy.

3. Click Distribution Details

Choose which campaign you’d like to report on, choose the time period etc 6.

@PissedConsumer963175

3. Click Distribution Details

With the report, it has an extra step you have to click Reports at the top first which should then open up a page that has additional reports on the left hand side. NOT THIS ONLY SHOWS FOR GOOGLE FOR YAHO AND BING THEY ARE NOT MADE TO SHOW THEIR “RAW” COSTS.

#941972

After several years of using them, I finally dropped them months ago. They kept telling me I needed to increase my spend and I kept telling them no.

Then I finally gave in and the calls basically stopped. They are not worth the money.

I would never recommend them to anyone. Ever!

View more comments (2)
Los Altos, California
Cons
  • You feel ripped off
  • Working with them
Reason of review
NEVER, EVER RECEIVED ONE LEAD FROM THEIR EFFORTS IN MY OPINION THEY SHOULD CLOSE DOWN
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Just one Month into Contract

I wrote very specific add and developed landing page and offer page(at considerable expense) vs using my website which was recommended by Reach Local rep,because wasn't as specific as landing page with call to action.Point being my add has not been used and they are using very generic add in place and can't get them to put my add up.There is no way generic add will work and in meantime told them to pause campaign until they get it right and they have not.I have gone thru $1800 of monthly $2500 campaign with 0 results.I have no one to contact other than local rep ?Can anyone give me corporate name to contact.I will come back to site see if anyone has an answer

How can you be reached? I work at ReachLocal, and would like to assist in getting this fixed for you.

West Palm Beach, Florida
Cons
  • Being misled
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered

Liars, Scammers, Thieves...

I got sucked into a 6 month contract about a year ago. Like just about every other post on this forum, I was lied to and promised the moon. Their salesman was super sharp and convincing. I was a willing participant because I have a child daycare center and I was really anxious to expand my business. The main selling point for me was that I would get to keep the website they created after my contract was over. This is what the sales guy effusively promised me. But when I decided to end the contract the home office refused to give me the site and would only give me the content. And now I have nothing and have to start all over. These people suck and their product sucks too. Stay away if you have any sense at all.
Cibolo, Texas
Pros
  • Nice website
Cons
  • Being lied to
Reason of review
was lied to and deceived
Full refund

Waste of Money, Don't contract this service. Was coned into this but the person telling me they will get great results.

Signed up for ppc with Reach Local, the ad experts.HA did not know anything about my services ,just put ads together and let them run.Asked for cost and breakdown of keywords was told they don't do that.Spent 1000.00 for 6 web visits. Buyer beware. They will promise the world and not deliver what they promise. Blaming their computer software for the delay, They are like Yelp just conartist.Got me to sign for 6 months,what a joke.I think they pocket half the money $1000 in three weeks i'll stick to google.Dont but this service,Trust me
ReachLocal Response #1035540

Your budget pays for more than clicks and calls. To learn more about how ReachLocal delivers value to our clients, click here: bit.ly/1Ew4ohJ.

For additional comments or concerns, please contact us directly at clientcare@reachlocal.com. Thank you.

They are a bad company overall. From what I understand, there are as many unhappy employees as there are customers.

Take a look at their stock. It's really does paint a disturbing picture.

View more comments (1)
Saugus, Massachusetts
Full refund

REACH LOCAL UK - DO NOT SIGN A CAMPAIGN WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

I asked a consultant at ReachLocal where my spend went - he couldnt tell me. I did some research, and went as far as contacting Google - I found out they only spend 55% of your spend online! The rest is all MARGIN! to pay for their staff, offices, phones, car expenses. Google is cost per click, reachlocal uk is cost per visit !! Because it has margin built in. I have withdrawn all business from this company. If you are approached by any of their sales agents, ask them one question - HOW MUCH OF MY BUDGET IS BEING SPENT ONLINE? Trust me, You'll wont be smiling at the answer.

Of course they have a margin, that's how business works?

I'm sure you're business/employer makes one too!

How did you work out what they paid for advertising? I could not find out how to do check this and was told by my account manager they don't provide this detail.

I also requested for a full list of the keywords they bid on and this was refused also. If you have a good look at their reports, they don't give you any specifics on what works and what does not.

They wont trust you to work with them to refine the campaign and would rely on software that is clueless to my niche.

Reachlocal have never been transparent. All they are concerned is what they'll pocket from my business.

Ok, I guess you work for free. How much of my money to you goes for overhead, bills, profits and your vactions?

All of your customers should ask you the same question..."How much of my money goes into your pocket?"

Dont be a ***, if they got you a great ROI you would not care where the money goes.

Go do you own online marketing and see how much time and money you'll waste!

Trust me american's are crooks. They just taking your money and do nothing.

That is the problem of some big companies who don't care about their customer. Because of them small legitimate companies like us in an SEO industry who works so hard for our client is been affected. I mean i don't blame people if they have bad experience.

Big companies like them don't care to loose few clients coz they think they are big so many prospect will come aboard. Unlike small companies like us we care, coz we looking forward for a long and fruitful business relationship.

That is why it works well and they satisfied. I mean i am not promoting it, i am just giving you an idea about it.

SEO really a big help. But it is all depends how the company can manage you to go up and push forward your business and stay ahead from your competitors. Best advice, if you have time, do it yourself but if you want to hire specialist for that, find companies which is not big or bluechips or american companies.

instead find average companies who will work hard for you and give results instead of guarantee. There's no such thing as guarantee that they will bring you number one.

Only google and popularity can move you up and proper optimization. Its a long process to do it so don't believe on people who promise you to be #1.

you might be on that spot, but its a work hard to do it and long process.. One more, SEO is not really cheap, some company offers you cheap price. yeah you can hire them, but don't expect good results. As i was saying its like 2 to 3 months before you find results.

Hopefully this will help.

Don't get me wrong i don't promote it i am a campaign manager. But we also affected due to bad press from the crook companies like reach local, but as an individual i would like to give my opinion thanks and i hope this will help

@PissedConsumer906673

Firstly It's "because" , not "coz"...

I can say one thing about 'big companies' - they tend to employ hard working individuals who tend to have an adequate comprehension of good grammar. It amazes me that you supposedly work for an SEO company -writing content i presume - but can barely string together a comprehensible sentence...

No wonder you're angry..

@PissedConsumer927843

Reachlocal shares has dropped from $15 just over 12 months ago to $2.85 and lost $17M last quarter. Your reality is.......... you had better start looking for a new job.

View more comments (5)
Exeter, England

Reachlocal - BIG FRAUD CASE

Does any one know anything about a big fraud case in the uk against Reachlocal? I cant find anything about it anywhere but the guy who told me worked for reach he didnt know who it was but said it was rumoured to involve millions£££'s so must be a big blue chip company. I know they stole £2000 of my money and its small in camparision but there will be alot of small business's like me and i would like to do a class action. On a positive side I am now doing googleads with a new agent and they too believe reach are a scam outfit everyone in their industry knows that, iam now getting easily twice the leads and all of great quality, Any help mesg me either who the company is or for a class action. Thanks Jay

Here you go mate. BBC Link explains everything clearly:

London, England
$2000

ReachLocal - Review in Advertising category

Reachlocal have been amazing for my business. I don't have the time to do Adwords and all of what search needs. They took a good brief of what I was looking for and set it up and I recieved good leads a month. I don't xare they make a profit and nor should anyone else?? Can not believe that people complain about that. My ROI based upon leads not *** is very good for us.

Really?!! You are obviously from Reach Local...why don't you post your company name?

ReachLocal Response #1035542

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear you've seen success with your campaign!

BECAUSE IF ALL OF YOUR BUDGET WAS GOING TO GOOGLE YOU WOULD HAVE 60% MORE LEADS!

3. Click Distribution Details

Choose which campaign you’d like to report on, choose the time period etc 6. Click Update Report The Media Cost (Google only) is what Reach Local spent with Google for that period. With the report, it has an extra step you have to click Reports at the top first which should then open up a page that has additional reports on the left hand side. NOT THIS ONLY SHOWS FOR GOOGLE FOR YAH0O AND BING THEY ARE NOT MADE TO SHOW THEIR “RAW” COSTS.

Why do I have to be an employee to understand how business and margins on many types of companies work? I'm assuming most of us on here are business owners, and higher profit margins are how we stay in business.

If reachlocal can provide you the return on investment that you are looking for, why can you not understand that they need money to sustain as a business as well.

C'mon guys. Think.

Anonymous- Does the markup really matter if you are getting a great ROI? The mark up is there to pay for employees, the one of a kind optimization technology, and account managers.

Truthfully, if you look at anything, there is a HUGE mark up. Look at cell phones- they are made for pennies on the dollar, but charge you $500+, and you purchase it because it has the features and customization that you want. Same thing with ReachLocal. To provide that great service, and STILL get you that great ROI, they do charge a mark up.

Everything we see- clothes, cell phones, homes, food, ALL have a big mark up. ReachLocal is not non-for-profit, and keep their employees happy by paying them a great base plus commissions. It's all part of an ecosystem that functions really well. You're paying for a very high end, and BEST service possible.

Yes, you have a mark up. Everything does.

You must be a Reach employee.

Over 50% profit is slightly immoral though, don't you think? Just imagine the results you could get if they spent 70% of your money like the majority of other ppc agencies..

You sound like a ReachLocal employee answering an objection! Is the lack of transparency and what they charge for what they say they do and do not!

It is an outdated and inefficient platform run by a bunch of kids that have no clue!

If they are so great then why do clients churn so much? Why is customer retention well below 50%?

@PissedConsumer882923

Just posted my comment then saw this. This employee is definitely straight of the prestigious ReachLocal "bootcamp".

View more comments (8)